Sunday, October 18, 2009

Feeling Sad

Well, this isn't really a big deal, I am just feeling sad tonight. I started thinking a day or so that Carter is showing signs of weaning and sure enough, a whole day of not wanting too.

This is so hard for me. I am grateful to be able to nurse my babies, and I know it is a blessing. I just have a hard time when they choose to be done, I guess it is part of my controlling personality!
I was able to nurse Brady until 13 months and I weaned him, Leilani weaned at 6 months and it broke my heart. I was hoping that Carter would continue, until his birthday, just under 3 months away. This isn't very far away, right???

In my world, it seems like forever. I just feel hurt by it, even though I know it is unintentional.

He got sick a little while ago and couldn't breathe to nurse, so I am guessing that this is what triggered it, so how do I get him back? I tried pumping to keep the flow going but he won't even latch on for longer then 5 seconds to even get the let-down. When he even gets in the nursing postition, he thrashes about and will not have anything to do with it. He sounds like I am torturing him! Any suggestions from my nursing friends out there?
I feel that it is done. I don't think that I can get him back, but hey I made it 9 months! That is good, right??

Sorry, I really try not to vent too much, because most of you probably don't care anyway, I just feel like writing and sharing how I feel. I feel that he is still too young and I will miss this bond greatly! It is one of my favorite things with babies, it is a conneciton that is wonderful and I just hate to think that he is done. Oh well, such is life and I will get through it. Life actually gets easier when you don't have to nurse all the time, but I am not quite ready for it! Off to cry a little more!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Darn it. I wish I had a bunch of advise to give you...but I've not experienced this, as of yet. Myles did go on a nursing strike once at around 8 months. He wanted to play instead of eat. I waited for him to get good and hungry then I took him into the bedroom with all of the lights off and quiet and he decided to try again. I am sure you've tried that...I'm sorry. 9 months is a great amount of time...he is lucky to have such a good start. You are a wonderful mom! Hang in there ya cutie!

Kristen said...

nursing is such an emotional thing. something that you can't understand unless you've been there... i'm thinking of you!

Courtney said...

So a friend of mine called the other day about her 6mo old who is weaning himself and was asking me what to do- I was going to ask you what to do, but it looks like these little ones have a mind of their own and we just have to do the best we know how.
Then you have Ben who eats EVERYTHING but loves his bottle it's like the most relaxing part of his day....

Anonymous said...

I know we just talked about this earlier, but I wish I had advice to give to you too! It's the whole bonding thing that's hard to give up.

Myrna Foster said...

I'm sorry, Maile. I love nursing my babies, but they DO have minds of their own. We do care, and it's okay to vent.

Your blog is adorable. It was a lot of fun to see your for a little while tonight. I hope your feeling happier soon!