In celebration of Pioneer day our ward had a breakfast and a little "parade" to get to the church which is a whopping 1/2 mile or so? The kids rode their bikes and the little ones got a nice little ride in our double stroller. Breakfast was pancakes, eggs and sausage. The kids played a game of chasing a chicken from one side of a dirt field attempting to get the chicken to go around a pole and then back, this however was unaccomplished since the chickens were not very cooperative! It was hilarious that on the second attempt the chickens laid down and didn't not want to move at all. Afterward the sprinklers at the church went off and lo and behold my kids wanted to run in the sprinklers with the other children. It was a lot of fun watching them enjoy themselves and when the station they were playing stopped they whined, then the next station went off and the hoorays were so cute! The simple joys! My kids told me that was the best part of the day.
As today is the actually Pioneer Day it is hard to imagine what the pioneers actually went through on their trek west. I cannot even comprehend what it would've been like to load all of their possessions into this small wagon or handcart and not know what may be on the other side. To have such faith and follow the counsel of their beloved prophet and trust that their lives would be much safer and they would be allowed to worship freely without the persecution.
Brady was asking me if we had any pioneers and since I don't know the history of Bryce's side very well I proceeded to tell him what I know of my side. I had a Scottish Grandmother (great-great) who joined the church and left her family in Scotland to head to Zion. She was 19 years old. There was a family that took her under their wing and she came across in the Martin handcart company. What faith she had to have to leave her family and all that she knew because she believed so wholly and completely in this gospel.
I pray that I may have that kind of faith and trust in the Lord and be willing to make sacrifices when I am asked and not murmur. That I will learn from my trials and be stronger as a result. I pray that I will be able to teach my children that and teach them where they came from, that it will give them strength to endure their own trials.







2 comments:
It was definitely a fun day yesterday for the kids. Chasing chickens and sprinklers, what more could a kid want? :)
What a neat story about your ancestor. I love reading about things like that, thanks for sharing.
Thank you, Sister! On a day when everyone around here seems to have forgotten about our pioneer heritage, I appreciate you talking about our grandmother. She was an amazing woman. You can find just a bit more of her story in "I Walked to Zion". Grandma McNeil was at a fort and waitimg while the mother was taliing to someone. There was a soldier who invited her to stay and told her that the pioneers wouldn't make it, that they'd die before they reached their destination. She basically told him that she would rather die following her faith than stay and live with him. I am amazed at her strength and resolve! Now you know where sweet Leilani gets her strong resolve from! I'm so grateful for her sacrifice and that of the others who gave up all they had to further the work of the Lord. What amazing disciples they were.
Post a Comment