This year was the first time that I really canned. Last summer I did some peaches with my at my in-laws and that was a learning experience, since I had never canned before in my life. Crazy, since my mom canned like crazy when I was little, but I was too little to remember.
So I went crazy, I ordered a 26 pound box of apples from Bountiful Baskets and then I ordered 96 pounds of pears, yes, crazy! Over conference weekend I canned like crazy. I made: apples, applesauce, pears and then fruit cocktail, because I added a half a box of peaches to make it more fun!
The fruit cocktail is frozen so no canning there, not that it didn't take a lot of time to do. I am happy with the results and glad that canning really is only once a year! Maybe next year I will do it again, if I am that crazy again!
I was amazed at how Leilani and Carter were. They were so awesome to make up games and keep themselves entertained, without tv. I had to put up a table, since I had no where to put all of the unfinished cans and they made a cute game using old lids and tops from other cans.







7 comments:
Yes, it's a good thing that canning only happens once a year! We have about 11 months to forget about just how time consuming it is. :)
But your canned fruit will taste so much better than the store equivalent. I love that picture of the kiddos playing with the rings.
What fun! I haven't done any canning this year, but a ton of dehydrating.
hey you. I have been meaning to call you. Congrat on #4. I had called Dr sauter's office before we spoke and so I was so happy that you recommended him. I am feeling crappy still but I hope that it won't last much longer. Great job on all your canning. that is awesome!
did you do the pear honey? if so, how did it turn out?
Kristen, pear honey is still on my list. The peelings are in my freezer, waiting. . . I will let you know.
Mmmmm, pear honey. Are you guys coming to Ogden for Christmas? Please say yes!
Post a Comment